Phat to Fabulous!

05 July 2006

Faithful to the end!

Hola everyone! I trust everyone had a happy and safe 4th of July Weekend. I definitely enjoyed my extended weekend. Today is my first day in the office, so it is now time to play catch up in the blog world and in the office. However, I felt it was only right to take care of my blog peeps first!

The last time I blogged was last Thursday and I was excited about going to the first night of Summerfest! And boy I was it a night. That night was off the chain. We headed down to Summerfest about 6:30pm, after getting the kids situated with the babysitter and getting changed it was time for the ladies to hit the road. We made our trek down to the lake front, battled the treacherous traffic and parking and got to the Harley-Davidson stage just in time to catch the Rusty Ps getting Funk'd Up! I was a little annoyed that it took that long to get in to the park and traffic, because by the time we made it to the stage they were already a song or so into their only 30 minutes set! It was murder trying to get into the park, because not only was it the first night, but there was great weather and apparently there was a power outage that had the park in the dark for a few hours earlier that evening. So apparently everyone had heard that the outage had ended and was trying to get down to park to enjoy the evening. After the Ps left the stage, these kind of new age white cats took the stage. They were doing a kind of experimental jazz type thing blended with old hip-hop. The sound was cool, a little too new age for me though. But it fit the mood with the true hip-hop heads in the place. After they got off the stage, a comedian took the stage, not really sure who he was he said he was going to be in an upcoming movie with Mike Epps. So when I figure out who that cat was I will let you know. He was aiight, he had everybody rolling talking about the different "hats" of hip hop past, pulling out different hats and repping different artists. It was kind of funny. DJ Devest8 came and rocked the 1s and 2s. Then Milwaukee's own Black Elephant took the stage. Now I had heard about the group, but had not yet had the opportunity to see them perform. They ripped it up, but they had a pretty short set. I am sure the audience wouldn't have minded them staying on stage a bit longer, however they will be back at Summerfest before it ends, I believe opening up for either Floetry or Anthony Hamilton this Thursday. After they left the stage, Milwaukee's other hometown boy Rico Love came out to do the damn thing. It was a great mix of a lot of Milwaukee artists at their finest. Le'Che Martin (of Diddy's Making the Band Season 2??) was on background vocals for him. Le'Che has her own album out and from the tracks I have heard it is pretty good. After Rico left the stage, a guy I had never heard of out of ATL hit the stage, Cofa Boy. Ummmm, ATL could have kept him. He had straight beats and the crowd stayed moving, but he didn't fit the vibe of the night. There were a lot of true hip-hop heads in the audience. This guy was move of a gangster/snap type of something or another. I wasn't feeling him. I think other people in the audience would have even taken to him better had he at least been a hometown artist, since that was kind of the theme for the evening. I personally would have preferred a few more tracks from the Ps, Black Elephant or Rico myself. But whatever Summerfest is trying to do better. It was years ago you couldn't get any hip-hop or rap music at any of the stages. Especially not as the nights headliners. So whatever, since it was opening night, Cofa Boy got cut short since the annual Big Bang fireworks show had to take place. Fireworks show was nice and a way to get the crowd ready for what was about to come. That boy from the city of wind Com-Sense! The show was great. Everyone was on their feet (my feet were on fire by the end of the night and I was wearing flat flip flops!) and the true fans were hanging onto every word, from Be to The Light to The Food to Faithful to straight freestylin! He pulled out tracks old and new and reminded all of us how much we loved the lyricist. And for the ladies it couldn't hurt at all that that man is gorgeous! Whooo, almost had a sistah passed out! Anywho, I will stop going on and share some pics from the show. The pics of Common were taken by Shelvey a friend of mine from MySpace that just so happened to be sitting right next to us, that was crazy. Enjoy!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This Zoo is a zoo!
So for some God unknown reason, my friend Holly and I, decided to take the kids to the zoo this past Sunday. (Yes, that is Holly of running in the tornado fame.) Holly is in town from Texas and we figured we needed to get the kids together while they were here. Well not thinking that the zoo might be kind of crazy the Sunday before the 4th, we decided to take the kids Sunday late morning early afternoon, before the girls and I needed to head to the husband's football game. So I get up get the kiddie's ready, give the husband a few evil looks for sleeping in and not partaking in this plethora of family fun and push on out the door. We arrive to the entrance to the zoo to only be met by a line that stretched back for blocks. How about it took us about 30 minutes just to get into the parking lot. Once we got into the parking lot we were lead down the death march past what is normally the far away parking to a patch of grass next to the freeway to park. No one happened to let me know that the Sunday before the 4th of July the Milwaukee County Zoo hosts a event for veterans, military personnel and their families. Needless to say it was ri-damn-diculous up in that place. The battle for strollers was something else, and the houses for the indoor animals were crowded beyond belief. By the time we left the zoo we were exhausted just from dealing with all the people. But as is usually the case, the kids had fun so that's what mattered. Plus, they got to see each other which doesn't happen often considering Holly and her family moved to Texas, so its all about the churins!

Another 'W' under the belt!
So the husband had another game this past Sunday. The Milwaukee Venom took on the West Allis Predators and have upped their record to 2-0, so far this season. With a 28-7 win, the Venom is looking better and better each week. This Saturday, they take on the Lake Country Cyclones at an away game in Arrowhead.

I can't eat anymore BBQ...
So Monday and Tuesday this week were filled too much food and alcohol. I couldn't even tell you how many mojijtos I made on Monday. But damn they were good. Last night I took the girls to see the fireworks, and I must say that daggone hatch back comes in handy. We didn't have a blanket so we just went to the car and sat in the trunk with the top up. It worked out well for all of us.

Aiight y'all I need to get back to work. My boss is out of the office, so I am trying to get a little catch up done, while it is semi-quiet. Until next time, catch up and check out my ridiculous CA adventure if you haven't done so already. I'll try to hit y'all back tomorrow.

Holla at ya girl!

Today's pic:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
posted by Elle Jefe at 7/05/2006 10:19:00 AM

6 Comments:

que pasa mami!!! Oooh mojitos... i want one!!!!

you are right.. I finished off bbq and bday cake this am :)

7/05/2006 3:32 PM  

oooh Common looked so sexy.....

I'm jealous :-)

We're still eating BBQ...you know I had to hit up two BBQs....

7/06/2006 9:53 AM  

You are right he is TASTY i didnt even realize that was him..I wish they did stuffl ike that in Boston but of course somebody would get shot and it woudl get shut down...

7/06/2006 10:20 AM  

Mmmmm, mojitos! I, myself, am on a diet tonic & vodka kick right now. A little lime? Mmmm, very tasty.

7/06/2006 11:02 AM  

@daddy's girl - chile' I was killin' the mojitos, if you haven't already take a peak at my myspace page, i was on a roll! ;)

@tenacious - girl, you just don't know, i will post more pics when i get a chance, i have about 30 thanks to my guy shelvey!

@ill nana - he has grown more tasty over the last few years, but damnit he was always fine, even when he was letting erykah badu dress him crazy! hahahah! and boston couldn't take a festival like this, girl, mke is ghetto fabulous, security down there is ridiculous every year though trying to keep your cousin's from actin up!

@djn - i haven't had a vodka & tonic in a minute, might have to pull out the kettle one for that. in the summer though i live off of mojitos i keep a backup pitcher in the fridge at all times!

7/06/2006 11:34 AM  

Uh, yea. That other stuff aside. I don't know what kind of camera your peeps had, but those were some pretty good shots.

7/09/2006 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home